Top 2012 YouTube Videos & Capture iPhone App
YouTube released a couple of new things this week, including their Capture iPhone app and Rewind YouTube Style 2012, a list of the top trending videos this year.
1. Capture iPhone App
What was lacking in the YouTube mobile app before was the ability to put videos up on your channel. Now, you can record, edit and upload mobile videos right from your phone. Here are some key features that may entice you to try it out, if you do “daily life” or vlog type videos on your channel.
- “Landscape” Mode – this feature doesn’t allow you to begin recording a video until you tilt your phone horizontally. It also prevents those black bars from appearing on either side of the video. Thank goodness – we’ve seen enough portrait-style videos.
- Background Uploading – feel free to navigate outside the Capture app, as behind-the-scenes uploading allows you to multi-task.
- Colour Correction, Stabilize and Trim – all of these quick fix capabilities help you clean up your clip.
2. Rewind YouTube Style 2012
The Top 10 trending videos on YouTube this year are as follows:
- PSY – GANGNAM STYLE (강남스타일) M/V
- Somebody That I Used to Know – Walk off the Earth (Gotye – Cover)
- KONY 2012
- “Call Me Maybe” by Carly Rae Jepsen – Feat. Justin Bieber, Selena, Ashley Tisdale & MORE!
- Barack Obama vs Mitt Romney. Epic Rap Battles Of History Season 2.
- A DRAMATIC SURPRISE ON A QUIET SQUARE
- WHY YOU ASKING ALL THEM QUESTIONS? .. #FCHW
- Dubstep Violin- Lindsey Stirling- Crystallize
- Facebook Parenting: For the troubled teen.
- Felix Baumgartner’s supersonic freefall from 128k’ – Mission Highlights
There is a mix of tastemakers, participation and unexpectedness among these videos, elements which YouTube Trends Manager Kevin Allocca talks about in his TED Talk. We’ve also noticed that these YouTube videos, which added to the total of 4 billion hours of video watched each month, were made by both YouTube stars and newcomers. They were both original content videos and covers. What made them get shared so much? A loyal following of click-happy subscribers, high-quality thumbnails, a dance that is easy to learn and parody, or timely pop culture references? Or just randomness? Tell us what you think on Twitter @viso.
By Priscilla Ho, Social Media and Marketing Specialist at BroadbandTV Corp.
Questions or Comments? Email socialmedia[at]broadbandtvcorp.com or tweet @VISO